To begin, begin.
~William Wordsworth~
If you don't know where you are going.....any road will get you there.
~Lewis Carroll~
Hi Everyone!
Congratulations on taking the first step! I am so glad to be walking alongside you all as you begin to achieve successes! Now that you have a list of your motivators, let's start developing a health and wellness vision for yourself. A vision can be defined as - a compelling statement of who you want to be and what health-promoting, life-giving behaviors you want to do consistently.
When thinking of what your vision looks like, try to describe your vision by "painting a picture" with words. What would you look, feel, and act like at your ideal? What kind of person do you want to be when it comes to your health, fitness, and/or wellness?
Keep your index cards of motivators handy and remember what is motivating you. Think about what you really value about your vision. Why is important for you to reach your vision? What will good will come from you reaching your vision?
Work on your vision statement and next we will determine how close you are to reaching your vision, and what strengths you can draw on to help you realize your vision.
When thinking of your fitness, health and/or wellness vision, ask yourself how you see yourself down the road.
Do you see yourself as lean and strong?
Steady and balanced?
Fast and agile?
Do you see yourself as energetic and ready to take on the world?
How about as muscular and powerful?
Do you see yourself as not getting winded walking up stairs?
Do you see your with a clear mind?
Less stressed?
Do you see yourself as having more clarity and focus?
Less pain?
Healthy?
Vibrant?
Do you see yourself being able to take walks with your spouse?
or hike a mountain?
Walk/Run a 5K?
Control a chronic disease?
Prevent a chronic disease?
Are you able to see yourself climbing to a top of a mountain one rock at a time?
Remember we are staying in the positive, so no negative, badgering self talk and no thinking of past mistakes. You are right where you are today, so lets start there.
I grew up going to a summer camp in MS and every morning the lady that ran the camp would come out and say "You know....TODAY...is the first day of the rest of your life...." That statement has always stuck with me and it means much more now to me than it did when I was 12! Just brainstorm your thoughts and dreams concerning your health and fitness. Take your time and ask others input if you like. If you find yourself with a mile long list, consider a couple of visions, and then put them aside and come back to it later to narrow them down.
Here are some examples.......
*I am a healthy, vibrant, fit and active person who continues to challenge myself.
*Over the next six months I will stop gaining weight and start losing weight so that I can look better, feel younger, and wear the clothes which I want to wear.
*Over the next year I will improve my health, in particular my cholesterol, to lower my risk of heart disease.
*I will establish healthy eating habits which include lots of healthy fruits and vegetables and I will become a role model for my family.
*I will improve my strength and stamina so that I can play with my grandchildren.
*My wellness vision is the over the next year, I will reduce my chronically high level of stress so that it does not damage my health in the long term and I can enjoy my spouse, and kids, and grandkids right now.
*My wellness goal is to get out of the "pre" and borderline categories....pre-diabetes, pre-hypertension, pre-obesity, borderline high cholesterol, etc...
*A year from now, I will have spent quality time being active with my family....
You come up with your vision..........and then we will work on how to get there!
Have a great week!
Claudia

0 comments:
Post a Comment